My daughter is a Type-1 Diabetic so I am always looking for low carb treats for her. I was particularly interested in this smoothie because of the chia seeds that are incorporated into the drink (see health benefits below). I know they aren’t as enticing as a box of Little Debbie snacks but I promise they will bring more to the party than Little Debbie ever did!
- Chia seeds help you to lose weight by reducing food cravings
- Chia seeds help to hydrate your body
- Chia seeds are rich in Omega 3 which protects our bodies against inflammation
- Chia seeds help to reduce blood pressure
- Chia seeds are beneficial to diabetics because they slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Make sure to check the back label. Try to find the one that only has 2 grams of carbs for every cup.
1/2 cup frozen organic strawberries
1/2 tsp cinnamon. Cinnamon is a great tool for helping to control blood sugars.
2 tsp raw almonds
1 Tb chia seeds
Splenda to sweeten if desired
Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. The whole smoothie has roughly 7-8 carbs.